Alright, alright – it’s Saturday. I know. But I didn’t get around to finishing this post until today so you’ll have to suck it up and appreciate these fresh finds just 24 hours tardy.
– With all the sad sad news in the media recently – what with everyone killing each other in the Middle East and planes being shot down mid-flight, I was so glad to stumble upon some comic relief tonight in this article looking back on Tina Fey & Amy Poehler’s best-friendship. These ladies are strong, savvy and hysterical and a great example of women being supportive instead of competitive with each other.
– Speaking of Amy Poehler, Dave and I have been averaging about 3 episodes a night of our new series obsession – Parks & Recreation. It’s witty, charming and has us sniggering into our duvet until regrettable hours of the night/morning. Get involved. Pawnee Forever.
– Beci Orpin is an incredible artist and designer and has just launched a new homeware line called Arro Home. ALL KINDS OF DREAMY. I’ve got a pretty hefty shopping cart sitting open on this site right now.
– My last post on Gentle Parenting Myths got a lot of views, comments, messages from people/friends/readers. I have to say it really stemmed from an article that’s been doing the rounds about how modern parenting is in crisis because we fear our children, have set the bar low for their behaviour and rely on shortcuts to ease our parenting (!). I (generally speaking) thought the article lacked insight into parents who are choosing to parent with empathy and aren’t authoritarian in their approach. Dr. Laura Markham (Aha Parenting) is one of my favourite parenting writers and wrote a great response to the original article here.
– And finally…do you ever think instagram is a bit overwhelmingly perfect? Everyones all, “Hey look how fun, symmetric and hipster my life is with my peonies, trendy coffee & well-behaved children.” Don’t get me wrong, I love a well set up shot with great lighting and attention to detail (that’s part of the fun – it’s an art for some of us), but we really do only see snippets of each others lives. This article by Bustle is a frank and honest look at ‘What I Instagrammed VS What Was Really Happening’. Let’s keep some perspective – 9 times out of 10 my life is in chaos around me when I post a nicely groomed pic.
For example: When this picture was being taken (x15 attempts because I really love my new top from the M&S sale), I could hear Levi opening a big pot of glitter in the craft room and dumping it onto the floor. In this final pic, my hands are covered in glitter out of shot and he is raging with me in the background because I moved the glitter to the top shelf because GLITTER IS FROM SATAN, WHY DO I EVEN HAVE GLITTER?!
And that, my friends, is a Fresh Finds Wrap. Have a great weekend!